Fully restored, this antique white mahogany bed has been completed in antique white and is perfect for a little girls bedroom.

Fully restored, this mahogany bed has been completed in antique white and is perfect for a little girls bedroom.

I was recently on one of the barn websites that everyone loves and saw that they had nicely done twin beds in the price range of $500 to $1500 dollars. These beds are advertised as being made from the “selected hardwood tree“. Now being familiar with wood, I am not sure what the selected hardwood tree looks like, but if anyone knows, be sure to send me a photo. I make a light joke about this as in many cases, you just do not know what your buying. But compare the cost of this restoration.

This bed has solid mahogany posts, original iron hardware and is about 85 to 90 years old. The owner of this bed saw this advertised and paid $75.00. To reproduce those four posts would probably be several hundred dollars, so you get where I am going.

To restore this bed, I started by giving it a thorough cleaning. After I thought it was clean, I cleaned it a second time. I primarily used denatured alcohol and water combined with lots of elbow grease. Once it was thoroughly dry, I primed the bed parts with a shellac based white primer. I sprayed it using a 2.5 mm tip, but you could brush it as well. I put two coats of primer on, with a light sand between each coat. It is important when working with old mahogany furniture to select the proper primers. This old mahogany furniture had an aniline dye lacquer finish which can bleed through no matter how many times you paint or prime over it. Therefore, I have had the best success in using a shellac based primer.

Once I was done with the priming, I painted the bed using General Finishes Antique White. I sprayed the paint using a 2 mm tip. This bed used an entire quart that had been thinned with water by 10 percent. Between each coat, I lightly sanded. The bed was then top coated with General Finishes High Performance in Satin. I used a 1.5 MM tip on my spray gun, and lightly sanded between each coat. I ended up applying four coats of satin to give the bed some great protection for the finish. Finally, I cleaned all the iron hardware and iron screws, and reassembled the bed. So the entire cost of this project worked out to be about $350 dollars. A significant cost savings over the barn stores and a real amazing transformation for an original american made mahogany bed!

Need help on a project and do not where to begin, be sure to drop me a line. To see some additional photos I did on this bed click on the gallery below.  Be sure to subscribe to the website so you can stay up on all of our whimsical projects.  You can also follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/popsrestorations.